Author Topic: 89 Advance running rough above 3k rpm  (Read 7094 times)

Offline art

89 Advance running rough above 3k rpm
« on: July 31, 2014, 11:04:01 AM »
My 89 Advance (Indmar) just started running rough, maybe missing out, not getting full power, just above 3k rpms.

She was running hot while idling, so I replaced them impeller recently.  That took care of that, and I made a good few runs pulling tube just below 3k rpm with no issue.  Had some nice water and decided to open her up and the hiccupping started last night.  I'm going to check the oil and run her again this afternoon, hoping it's not bad gas but would expect problems at lower output if so?

The impeller project was about the extent of my abilities.  Any suggestions for quick/simple/obvious fixes or time to get a professional involved?

Thanks in advance (no pun intended) - the advice from you guys all is top notch!
Art

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
Re: 89 Advance running rough above 3k rpm
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:16:21 PM »
When was the last time you did a tune up?
I would start there. Plugs, points, cap, rotor, timing and see what that does. Report back and let us know how that does.
It can be amazing what a tune up can do for you.
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline art

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 09:22:17 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.  I had it tuned up by the Marina at the start of the season, about 30 or so hours ago.  Seemed to run a little smoother this afternoon, but still not getting full power once I hit about 32-3500 rpms.  It didn't seem to be coughing as much, but not good.  Bad spark plug or wire a possibility maybe? 

Offline backfoot100

• Eddie
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: 86 Barefoot Skier
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 06:57:15 AM »
Did it run good after the marina tuned it up and it just start running bad or has it not run good since they had it?
When people run down to the lake to see what is making that noise, you've succeeded.

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 07:06:02 AM »
Assuming tune-up was done properly, and the boat ran strong after that, and assuming the overheating was caught and corrected before real damage was done......then the most common fault is lack of fuel delivery, (fuel filter, anti-siphon valve, blocked vent, etc...)

Offline Midskier

• The Busted Knuckle Garage is always open :)
    • Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: the ONLY '86 American Skier Volante Barefoot Skier
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 11:50:09 AM »
with te info already provided I'm thinking along the lines with Ron - there is (usually) a fine screen in the fuel line fitting @ the carb (easy) and also a fine mesh screen on the pickup tube in the tank (not so easy) either or both could be partially blocked
and need to be cleaned , also dump out the water separator into a container to see if there is any water in the fuel (water sinks, so it will be @ the bottom of the container)

Dan T
Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
**219.365.1466**
www.MidwestAmericanSkier.com
midskier@hotmail.com
Buy Barefoot International / Fly High Products at:
www.FootnGear.com  
AWSA Level 1 Certified Water Ski Instructor

Offline art

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 09:08:38 PM »
Thanks guys.  As far as I know she was running solid after the tune up, however I don't run full throttle that often or for long periods, so I may not have good test info there.  (Far too much tubing at my house - if you have any incentives to get younger kids to ski, kneeboard, wakeboard, barefoot....anything over tubing...I am all ears!)  When I ran her late last week it was better, but not great.  I've not had a chance to get out again but will tomorrow.  What you describe is beyond my abilities but I'll certainly take this info in to the marina.  Dan, do you still do service on site?  I know you have a 219 number but am not sure how far away from me you are?  I'm on Lake Tippy over by Warsaw.

Thanks again fellas - you are the best, much appreciated.
Art

Offline Midskier

• The Busted Knuckle Garage is always open :)
    • Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: the ONLY '86 American Skier Volante Barefoot Skier
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 09:09:27 AM »
Art - I would need it here for a few days

St John - straight west make a quick left b4 the IL border

Dan T
Midwest American Skier Boats Parts and Service
**219.365.1466**
www.MidwestAmericanSkier.com
midskier@hotmail.com
Buy Barefoot International / Fly High Products at: