Author Topic: transmission cable broke and hard to shift  (Read 4411 times)

Offline Dfw 1989

• Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier 1989
transmission cable broke and hard to shift
« on: August 17, 2014, 12:04:15 PM »
I was on the lake yesterday and my transmission was very hard to shift into neutral from forwards. You had to really give it some muscle which I did which broke the cable.
Does anyone know what length and type of cable the shifting cable is? How hard is it to change?

I am going to lube the shift lever and ball. Is there anything else that could be wrong with transmission.
I took the cable off and the lever is still very hard to move sometimes mostly after a while in forwards. Once I get it back into neutral after a long period in forwards it goes in and out of F N & R fine. Its just the first shift from F to N that's really hard.
Thanks

Offline Dfw 1989

Re: transmission cable broke and hard to shift
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 02:18:50 PM »
Well I have done some more investigating and the cable says 18ft and has 2 treaded rod ends. Not sure what size will run to hardware store to find out.

The shifter is hard to move even with check ball removeds. What would cause that?

Offline Dfw 1989

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 04:22:55 PM »
Ok the treaded ends are 10-32 sae and seem to have around 3inchs of travel. can any one comfirm.
This looks like it would work
Teleflex 18 Foot Lund 1335769 SeaStar Universal TFXTREME Boat Shift Throttle Control Cable CC63318

http://greatlakesskipper.com/teleflex-18-foot-lund-1335769-seastar-universal-tfxtreme-boat-shift-throttle-control-cable-cc63318#

What do yall think?

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 07:55:39 AM »
Am Skier Part # SBS-0035-18 is the replacement cable (UFLEX Premium C*) the original red jacket Morse is now manufactured by the aftermarket SeaStar and is also available but a couple more dollars over the better UFlex premium.
 SkiBoatPartsOnline.com