Author Topic: engine-hull clearance  (Read 5649 times)

Offline jono10

• Boat Make/Model/Year: 1988 Advance
engine-hull clearance
« on: September 26, 2014, 06:53:05 PM »
Hi. I just wanted to pic everyone's  brains on the clearance between the inside of the hull and the "BELL HOUSING". I noticed the other day while removing my throttle cable that there is basically no clearance between the hull and the engine/transmission. The gap is so small that the throttle cable would not even fit through there.  Is this normal or do I have a problem? 1988 ADVANCE 5.8L Indmar/FordW. Thanks and kind regards, Jono.

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
  • Boat Make/Model/Year: American Skier/Eagle V-25/2001
Re: engine-hull clearance
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 08:53:50 AM »
Your motor has settled and is over-due for a shaft alignment. You should be able to put your finger between the bellhousing & the bottom which is approx. 1/2" the throttle cable needs to move freely in that area.

Offline jono10

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 05:21:43 PM »
 :)Thanks Ron, last time I checked the shaft alignment was about 18 months ago and from memory I had a gap at the top of the 2 flanges, which would mean the back of the engine would need to be lowered. If this is the case what would be the coarse of action? would I need to change the angle of the leg underneath the boat? Are the threads on the engine mounts adjustments RH or LH thread? Is there any video anywhere I can watch to ensure I align the shaft properly? :)Thanks Ron, you are truly a huge help. Regards Jono.

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 10:22:02 AM »
You stated the most common mistake, gap at the top, lower the back....wrong, RAISE the front 99.9% of the time. But lets back up. Think aligne the motor to the shaft, not shaft to motor, always start with the shaft is the correct position with good strut bearings. I have reviewed the available youtube videos on this subject and have yet to find a practical one. Producing a decent video is on my list for this coming off season. My wife said I need a cute female assistant to do this with, nobody wants to see me in the bilge, the search is on for the right person.

Offline Mike Harry

• Captain
  • 1986 American Skier Barefoot Skier
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 11:00:22 AM »
A youtube channel would be a priceless upgrade in my humble opinion. Cute girl or not.

Offline jono10

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 05:17:18 PM »
 :)Thanks Ron, see this is why I ask people like yourself, you are so helpful. If feel a bit stupid after reading that because I never even thought of lifting the front. I will assume that my shaft is ok, I do use the Johnson naval brass cutless bearing and up graded my stuffing box to a later model brass bush and seal type. See how we go ;) Thanks Ron.

Offline RonT

• Administrator
    • RonTanis
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 07:09:28 AM »
Review the alignment steps in the tech. section of this forum.